Thursday, July 12, 2007

Happiness


How many people can say that they are truly happy on their own? And truly is the operative word here, because “I’m truly happy on my own” is different to “Just f*ck off, I’m not a sad singleton, I don’t need anyone, I’m happy on my own” said in an ever so slightly defensive manner. For those of you in long term relationships, “happy on my own” can not be qualified with “well I was single for a year when I was 19 and yes I was happy” because the difference between who you are at 19 and who you are at 29 is huge. I’m not saying relationships are a cop out…or suggesting we should leave Mr Right, in pursuit of single-minded happiness. No I’m not saying that at all, because even in a relationship you can still lay claim to “I am truly happy on my own” for despite being one half of a pair, you are still ultimately alone. Nothing is guaranteed in this life, except that you have yourself until death do thee part from thyself. So if you are truly happy within yourself and your partner is an added bonus, congratulations! I think you may well have cracked it!

But everyone who feels happy should examine that feeling carefully; does it truly come from within you? Or is it reliant on someone or something?

Recently I received an email from a close friend who had been to see a mutual friend of ours who has just given birth. My emailing friend announced that baby was big and bouncy and ‘mummy’ looked…truly happy. I pondered this announcement for a moment, it jarred with me but I didn’t know why. Then it struck me. ‘Mummy’ has not been happy for years. She has struggled desperately with depression and feelings of self-doubt. She has been on anti-depressants, drunk too much at times, struggled with direction in finding a job and about two and half years ago, suddenly met and married a man within six months who, it would seem, is as complicated and unhappy as she is. Am I to believe that now she has a baby, she is suddenly truly happy? Or, is it more likely that now she has a baby, she no longer needs to concentrate on her own happiness and the relief has allowed her a tentative joy? OK, so the counter argument here is that maybe, it doesn’t matter that it took having a baby to make her happy? But babies grow up and go to school and mummies get their time back, time to ponder their happiness and well being and deep rooted anxieties rarely disappear on their own… Furthermore, how do we make our kids happy, if we never learnt the secret of happiness ourselves? Do we just tell them to go and procreate because that’s how we found it?

It’s not just babies. We might pour our life energy into our careers, our hobbies, our friends, our family, making money, our boyfriends… or our pursuit of a boyfriend. But it’s never quite enough… ever. We’re so busy in our pursuit of happiness that we forget to actually be happy. A few years ago, if someone said I’d be working on a global advertising account on the money that I’m earning now, I’d have said, wow that’d be great! What do I think of my job now? I don’t think I earn enough and I don’t think that I’m high enough up the career ladder for my age… that’s what I think. I have persecuted myself over my inability to get over KP and hold down a relationship since him. If someone tells me I’m pretty, I’ll reply “but I’m so spotty”. I’ll work myself into the ground to try and prove myself to my superiors and I’ll bend over backwards to make a man happy… because if I get recognition from my boss or my man…then I’ll be good enough won’t I? Then I’ll be happy… won’t I?

No. I won’t. Because I could wait forever for that recognition and it may never come. It’s a fact of life that you can move mountains for people and they’ll let you do it, but they won’t necessarily give you the recognition you want or the love you crave, just because you busted a gut moving that f*cking great big mountain. Furthermore, life can be tough at times. It can knock you sideways and you can’t always rely on the thing that makes you happy to pick up the pieces… especially if it’s the thing that makes you happy that has exited your life. The only way to deal with the crises, is to know even in your weakest moment that you are strong enough to be happy again and that you can achieve that mostly on your own (with a bit of help from your friends), if needs be.

So here’s the deal. I’m single and I need to be right now, because the minute a man I like comes into the equation, my pursuit suddenly becomes all about making him happy in the deluded sense that he'll love me for it and then I’ll be truly happy. So for a week I am resolutely single. The reason I am not suggesting six months, is because that would be putting undue pressure on myself and if I failed, I would then persecute myself for being useless at being single. Plus a week is a long time when you can’t remember the last time that you didn’t have at least one date in the week or at the very least a flirtatious phone call!! So, I am properly single for one week and I’m going to be alone with this person who's been with me consistently during these last 29 years. And maybe, I'll finally give myself some recognition and as a result, some happiness. And this is a small stepping stone, but one day, when I have a child of my own, hopefully, I’ll be able to set her/him on the right path to finding their own true happiness.

12 comments:

Sister Louise said...

I thinks it's called "Sods Law", when one writes how happy she is going to be on her own and then the very next morning bumps into Blue Moon on her tube platform, which is miles from his stomping ground in Kent. I would also have to have streaming eyes and be blowing my nose at the time too wouldn't I? Such is life.

Anonymous said...

But can we ever be 100% happy? I know that it would be good to sort out all our issues before implanting them onto our innocent offspring, but if that were the case, none of us would qualify for babies until we reached our 50s!

And with regard to you… that is spot on that you’d do anything to make a MAN happy, but yes you need to concentrate on you. And it will be easy for you to be single down with the girls in Devon!

Anonymous said...

Well as someone who was single for quite a few years (!) I am all for believing you have to rely on yourself for happiness, and if you are happy with yourself, love from a partner is a bonus not a necessity as you point out. It is up to us to respect ourselves… what a waste of time, and how pathetic, waiting for it to come from a partner, boss or father.



I am learning to stop expecting recognition and praise from my father as I know it will never come – it never came for him from his father to him, and Dad has spent the whole of his life desperate for his father’s love and respect – it never came. And now Grandpa is dead, I realise that it is not a release for Dad, as I hoped, but a tragedy, as he realises now there is no hope that that love is ever going to come.



So learn the lesson… if we waste our lives exerting all our emotions and energy trying to get someone to feel a certain way about us, I think we are onto a loosing battle. FAR better to start teaching our own mind to feel those feelings about us…. You can rely on yourself.

LZM said...

Isn't it funny how sometime things come like a bolt from the blue to rescue us? I have been feeling really down about being single for quite a few days now. I have been single since November and was really quite happy with it until now. Thanks sister Louise - you're right. Its about making ourselves happy - it's no one elses job. So (please excuse the single, white femaleness of this) I intend to try and follow your lead and be truly single for a week! Good luck to us both. Now I'm off to switch of my phone...!

Sister Louise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sister Louise said...

Oh shit. Does going to a singles dinner tomorrow night count? I thought it didn't but the person who asked me has suggested we go for 'a drink' first...and I'm not sure whether this qualifies as a date??!! Still doesn't mean I have to get involved does it! I can be resolutely single and happy whilst enjoying the attention of a few men can I? Maybe I'll start properly on Saturday...my friend is right, I need to get to Devon where there's no distraction...LOL!!

Sister Bridget said...

SL you make me laugh! A week without men and now you're going on a singles night ;-) But that's fine, it's quite a strong independent single thing to do really. Take control of your life and do something for yourself. I was actually very impressed with your blog and will comment more relevantly about that later. Need some time to ponder over the thoughts it has provoked in my little, already rather emotionally stretched today, brain!! x

Huw said...

A week? And with a singles night thrown in there too? Somehow I think you aren't trying hard enough.

Anonymous said...

Blimey..this is proving to be a popular topic! I'm in denial, so refuse to spend brain time dwelling on this...i might decide i'm not all that happy, so best not to burst my imaginery bubble!!! Oh and Miss Louise...ONE WEEK!!! You're incorrigible - but I still loves ya! xxx

Sister Louise said...

Um. OK. Singles week starts here, she says after crawling home in the early hours of the morning with only one earring, a mislaid pair of shoes and no necklace. The last thing I remember is doing the splits on the coffee table...woops! But it's OK, other people were dancing on the coffee table too!!

Anonymous said...

Tramp! x

Sister Louise said...

Happy to report one whole week from Saturday July 14th to Saturday July 21st spent as single as single can be...