Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pimms anyone?

London is a fantastic place to be in the sun. As sister Louise was out enjoying the sun at the boat race I was also making the most of our first taste of summer.

I first moved to London last summer and instantly fell in love with the place. Being a country girl I was not sure how I would cope with the big smoke when I first made the move. But that summer, working in Soho, I was taken with the party like atmosphere that you get at 5.30pm as you leave the office behind you. The idea that millions of people are leaving work to go to a million pubs, bars and parties never fails to make my blood quicken. I feel sure that had I moved to London in the winter the transition would have been harder.

London in the winter is a very different place. It is easy to let the stress of it all get to you when the freezing weather and rain mean you have to catch a crowded bus. The same tree lined streets that seem so grand and alluring in the summer, seem sinister and grey in the winter. You only need to look at people’s faces in this warm weather to see that everyone is so much happier.

So I was raising a glass to London this Easter weekend in a rather empty London. Everyone seems to disappear off to the country at weekends and holidays during the summer. But not me, I’ll be here whenever I can making the most of London at its very best.

Pimms anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Pimms Sister!!! Just my kinda gal!!
I did London this weekend - I felt that spirit too...oh and a few vodka's to boot!
x

Huw said...

Agreed: London, and much of Blighty, is unbeatable in the sunshine, but can be a dark and damp place at other times. This is why when I win the lottery, I am having a second home somewhere near the equator (I will be more specific once I win) for November through to March.