Monday, April 23, 2007

Parallel Universes

So KP found the blog. Not entirely surprising I guess, as there’s been various chit chat about Sisters In The City on Facebook. I got a message at 4pm today… “Are you Sister Louise?” Heart in mouth, I denied it… and then asked him not to read any more, (to which he agreed). It seemed to be a cruel twist of fate that he should find it just as I’m starting to write something positive and just as we (KP and I) have finally, in the last couple of weeks, achieved an unaffected if somewhat distant friendship. I had always wanted to maintain a friendship. Closure had been difficult, our break-up had come out of the blue for me, it rattled me, challenged my sense of security. I gave up any hope of getting back together with him very soon after we broke up, but I needed him to need me as a friend, because I couldn’t understand the great big gaping hole between living together, cosy, coupledom… and nothing. In my head, if there was nothing, then he never really loved me. And if he never really loved me and I believed that he had, then how was I meant to believe anyone who might portend to love me in the future?

But then a few weeks ago, I stopped caring, I gave up. Since then (as always seems to happen when you stop caring) we’ve had several unaffected friendly chit-chats via messenger. Maybe he sensed the pressure lift, that it was now his choice. I don’t know. But the conversations were different, I no longer felt like prey being ripped apart by the predator. We had reached level ground.

But you see, I’ve maybe learnt a lot these last few weeks. The start of my year was dismal as I’ve mentioned before, the ‘thing’ I couldn’t mention was a disciplinary procedure at work, which seemed huge at the time but was actually systematic of a male dominated, cut throat, working environment, with no procedures for performance review and people management. When I started talking to girls at work, I found others going through the same thing, someone far more superior than me had been offered her ‘references’ for daring to suggest that the culture in our work place was ‘diseased’. This on top of burglary, towings, uncertainty about getting into a new relationship had led to me becoming anxious, jumpy and unable to cope.

And then I spoke to someone. My first love. I was with him for four years and on and off for a fifth. It didn’t work out, we were young, like a couple of lion cubs intermittently playing and fighting. We needed to grow up separately from each other and find our own pathways. And when I rang, tired and stressed and coming down off some awful tablets the doctor had given me which had made me feel ten times worse - he told me this. He said that everyone is the centre of their own Universe. That no matter how much we care about others, we are all pre-occupied with our own world. That if someone doesn’t do what you expect them to, it’s not because they don’t care necessarily, it’s just that they’re trying to deal with their own life first. He told me, because he knows me, that I’ve always been too hard on myself, that I put too much pressure on myself, that I need to start celebrating what I do right and not what I don’t. He told me he didn’t like hearing me in a state. I know I worried him. We split up six years ago and yet he still drove five hours and came to see me, hugged me, talked to me and said if I ever get in another state to ring him, not to be alone. And I guess what I’m trying to say is that people are different; some friends have more time for you than others. Some love interests will declare you’re ‘the one’ within five minutes of meeting you and then five months later, declare you’re not. Some will be in your life for years and then exit it suddenly. But every once in a lifetime, someone (lover or friend) makes your heart sing because their love for you burns to the very core of their being and, despite risking exposure to old wounds, they’ll extend their Universe just wide enough to let you in for a while… just when you really, really need to be let in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a star he was, being so supportive after all this time and coming to your side just when you needed him. I guess this shows that we do take something from every relationship, be it something that we've learned or someone that we can always rely upon. KP reading your blog may initially seem like the worst thing in the world, but I actually think it will not turn out so badly. You've said nothing untrue or unfair in this blog. You were with him for a long time, so of course he had a massive effect on your life and your mentioning him is only a natural result of that. You've been open and honest and maybe it will do him good to understand how you really feel. I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time. The beginning of the year may have been rubbish, but the Summer is now coming and I'm sure things will brighten up for you and get much better for the rest of the year :-)
P.S You might want to take precautions to ensure Mr Comfort and Blue Moon don't cotton on to the site!!! x

Anonymous said...

Dear Sister Louise,

I must say I love your blog and let you know how great I think you girls are by the way you face the difficult situations you sometimes experience as single gals in the City. Quite different from my younger days in Tennessee, but you are brilliant! Was great to see you and Bridget at my concert the other day. Keep up the good work!
Dolly xxx

Sister Louise said...

LOL? Thanks Dolly!! You're my hero!!

Huw said...

Holy Crapola! KP found your blog!

Errrm, hello KP, if you are reading.

Anyway, yes, Facebook. Blogworld. I work hard to keep them seperate. Any blog pals connected to me on there are instructed fairly strictly not to mention the B word. There are far too many now-distant friends on Facebook who I really don't want to even think about trawling through my musings.