Wednesday, April 25, 2007

lessons in love


I was having a discussion with a girlfriend over the weekend that had a similar theme to a part of Sister Louise’s last blog entry.

I was telling her how I sometimes feel tired and overwhelmed when I think that I have been dating for ten or more years and still haven’t found the right person. But as I was talking to her I realised that in one way I wouldn’t swap those years for anything.

You see I realised that I am who I am today because of all of those men along the way. Despite the fact that none of these relationships turned out to be what I was looking for I have learned from every single one of them. There was Tom who taught me that some things are better regretted than done. Jamie, with whom I learned to laugh at myself and did a lot of growing-up, Ben, who left me on the Isle of Wight where I learned how to hitch a lift across the Solent (via 3 boats). Tim who, by no good deed of his own, taught me that broken hearts can be survived and how to cook Thai curry. Matt made me realise that you can’t always rescue everyone. With Chris I learned to surf and that no one will love you for being anyone else but yourself. Sam taught me the importance of decent stock in cooking and that moving to another country doesn’t always save a relationship. And even my last boyfriend, who I am still angry with, taught me how to cook a mean dahl and that being with someone for the sake of it is much worse than being on your own.

So this potted history of my more important relationships (names have been changed to protect the innocent!) shows that these years have been teaching me and moulding me into a resourceful, confident, experienced girl who can now cook really quite well and is now ready to meet my ideal man. So thank to all of you boys and here’s to more learning!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to look at it. You're completely right. I sometimes think we've missed out from the way they had it in our parents generation as they got married so much younger and had so much longer to spend with their partner, and yet, we experience so much more through the trials and tribulations of trying a couple out along the way and learning what you want don't want before you meet the one! x

Sister Louise said...

That's a fabulous way to see it! And you're right. Sometimes at the end of yet another broken relationship it's easy to feel like it was a waste of time. MFL introduced me to so many things, love, passion, music, he had an amazing ability to see the 'grey' in life...KP taught me not to take things so seriously and that sometimes it's easier to think of things as black and white...They do shape us...you're right. But having said that... no more break-ups God pleeeease?!!!

Anonymous said...

Ha!What a great way to look at things! Inspiring....well done!

Anonymous said...

we want more! we want more!
the ranks are getting impatient!

Anonymous said...

generic alprazolam generic xanax names - xanax 0.5 high