Wednesday, February 14, 2007

V-Day in the life of Sister Bridget


After many years of being single on Valentines Day; trying out various ways to deal with what I came to know as ‘the worst day of the year’ including boycotting the whole thing, speed dating or other fun nights out with my single friends, I finally have a boyfriend to share it with! This year, my lovely man is cooking me dinner, spoiling me with gifts and lavishing me with attention which of course is all wonderful and splendid! Except silly old me, is never happy and when I am so indulgently presented with a huge bunch of roses and balloon at work, instead of displaying this everso proudly at my desk, my face goes a deeper shade of red than the roses themselves, I leave my balloon in reception and run to my desk and hide them, hoping that no-one will see what’s just happened!

I know, I know, I am very ungrateful and undeserving of such attention. It’s not that I’m not grateful; I love the flowers and I love the gesture, it’s just I don’t like the thought of sitting in work surrounded by such obvious displays of affection. I might as well stand up and shout ‘Look at me everyone, I have a boyfriend - I am so much better than all you single losers!!’ And bearing in mind I am still quite nostalgic of my single losery days, and have always hated anyone in a couple on Valentines Day, particularly the types that display their love so blatantly, it would be rather hypocritical of me to do so!

But now, Mr Bridget has got wind of the fact that my balloon is still in reception, and I have learned that Valentines Day can still be troublesome even if you are in a couple. It just puts so much pressure on people to be romantic and prove their love, when I believe this should be done through the little things all the year round. Or maybe too many years of being single have turned me into a permanent hater of Valentines Day and I should just shut up and enjoy it!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember a time when a single rose left casually in our shared living room made a single Sister Bridget feel so "uncomfortable in her own home" on Valentines Day that it had to be removed. So I am pleased to learn that you didn't decide that an ostentatious bloom/balloon display was called for in the office! Happy V Day to all the sisters x

Anonymous said...

I remember that occasion very well mystery commenter(!) and was very aware of it in my embarrassed scurry back to my office with the roses today! Although I must say, all the cool kids in work have just been over to my desk admiring my flowers, and maybe I do enjoy this attention after all!! x