Friday, October 27, 2006

Power Trip

I have spent the past few weeks in nervous anticipation of my first business trip abroad. Having bored all my friends to tears, practising my speeches on them and constantly seeking reassurance – the feeling of dread had escalated to a point where I would do anything to get out of going.

Fortunately, in hindsight, none of my wishes to break my leg or gain some terrible temporary disease to prevent me from going were granted, and I found myself leaving my comfortable flat in Putney at the ungodly hour of 6.00am for a plane to Frankfurt.

Of course, in a situation where I was already nervous, stressed and pushed for time, the plane was 1½ half hours delayed, leaving me no time to go to the hotel and make myself presentable. Instead I had to resort to a quick make-up job in the airport toilets, throwing on my un-ironed dress and jumping into a taxi heading straight for, in my opinion, the end of my career!

Perhaps it was a mixture of relief at these things never being quite so terrifying as we expect them to be, all my hard preparation paying off and feeling great in my sexy red power dress, but not only did I find the trip bearable – I actually enjoyed it. Particularly sitting in the bar afterwards with my friends, sipping champagne (compliments of the company of course!) and laughing about the day’s events.

On the plane home the next day, after a blissful night's sleep in the hotel and a delicious continental breakfast, I felt a certain glow and sense of professional achievement. The best part of the trip was to follow when I realised one of my life time goals; the man at the airport holding my name card waiting to take me home – finally I’ve become a grown-up!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Sister Bridget - I enjoyed the champagne too sweetie and look forward to doing it all over again next year! P xxxx