Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Weightless Wonderland

Staring out of the window as the plane leaves Copenhagen, I am surprised to see a lone house, strong and sturdy on a remote island, surrounded by nothing more than miles of swampy marsh. Carved around it in a crescent moon shape, appears a man made moat, ensuring perhaps that should any would-be-visitor actually manage to reach this house far from harbour or road, the moat would prove one challenge too far. Who would want to live in a place like this, I wonder? The plane moves higher and breaks the mists of cotton, I look down and envision myself bouncing from cloud to cloud, under the gaze of the pink, half moon. A child's "weightless wonderland"... the Care Bears lived in the clouds didn't they? In a place called Care-a-Lot. And if you climbed up the Faraway Tree, you reached wondrous lands like this didn't you?

I rather like looking down from this surreal, fairytale land upon my real life below. Seeing it from this perspective, I realise that I am but a tiny speck in a great,vast, Universe. And everywhere, people are going about their lives as best they can. People have been born and died today, married and divorced, eaten too much or starved and all manner of things that I couldn't even begin to describe because I have no comprehension of their lives and the World that they live in. Tomorrow, I'll go back to my small existence as a black speck in a corner of an office in London, England. But I hope that the bigger perspective stays with me for a while longer.

No comments: