Thursday, March 08, 2007

Single Minded Optimism

I have recently realised that I am totally out of men! Rather than feeling sad, or scared I suddenly feel really optimistic and hopeful about my future.

Its not like I’ve never been single but I can’t remember the last time when there was no one that I even fancied. I have ended things with ‘Mr Bad Manners’ because apart from the bad manners I didn’t really fancy him and I had an inkling that I was with him because I didn’t want to be on my own. I realised that if I am serious about meeting the right man I am going to have to hold out for him, and settle for nothing less. OK so I might not meet ‘Mr Right’ just like that and I’m aware that there might be a few more ‘Mr Wrongs’ along the way but I’m more likely to meet him now that I am on my own.

Its not rocket science is it? If you’re with the wrong person you won’t meet the right one but it’s taken me nearly 13 years of dating to learn that lesson. I just always wanted to be with someone rather than no one.

‘Mr Bad Manners’ was the very last of the men of my acquaintance who I fancied (or thought I did). I think that is why I put up with the bad manners. But now I feel like I have a blank canvass. The next person I meet won’t be anything to do with my past and will hopefully be everything to do with my future. A few months ago I felt jaded at the very idea of meeting another person. Like I couldn’t be bothered to go through another failed relationship, another wasted notch on the bedpost, but now I think that maybe, just maybe all the ‘Mr Wrongs ‘in my past will mean that I recognise ‘Mr Right’ for who he is when he arrives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a great attitude to have. I love the feeling after coming out of a 'wrong' relationship, walking along with the sun shining, listening to some really uplifting girl power music and wondering what adventures are around the corner! Good for you Zaria, Bx

Sister Louise said...

The wrong people just drag you down. Why should anyone settle for less than being loved and respected. But we do from time to time. It felt bizarre when Chatterbox came along and expected to take me out more than once every three weeks which had happened with Blue Moon. Enjoy yourself!